2018 Xmr rear differential

RossO

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  697

Hi Rudy, I ordered a SATV pin locker this week and should receive it in about 10 days, it is very similar to your halo locker except that it may be a slightly easier install. On the SATV site they remove the hub before pulling the axles on both sides and than the upper A arm on the passengers side. Your picture seems to show that you were able to leave the axles in the hubs and drop your lower A arms while suspending the upper A arm complete with shock. This would save a fair amount of disassembly and reassembly if I read your picture correctly.

I have a Defender XT cab so the front end should be very similar if not identical?

My machine has a full bottom sectional skid plate so its difficult to see where the grommet is that would allow the electrical wire to be run up into the cab and connected to the switch? 

I will add the install to my build thread once this is install is complete.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:19 PM, Rudy said:

Awesome! If you decide to install I can post some more photos that may help. Glad they clarified!

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

• Member ID:  64
  • Content Count:  88

5 hours ago, Andystoy19 said:

Hi Rudy, I ordered a SATV pin locker this week and should receive it in about 10 days, it is very similar to your halo locker except that it may be a slightly easier install. On the SATV site they remove the hub before pulling the axles on both sides and than the upper A arm on the passengers side. Your picture seems to show that you were able to leave the axles in the hubs and drop your lower A arms while suspending the upper A arm complete with shock. This would save a fair amount of disassembly and reassembly if I read your picture correctly.

I have a Defender XT cab so the front end should be very similar if not identical?

My machine has a full bottom sectional skid plate so its difficult to see where the grommet is that would allow the electrical wire to be run up into the cab and connected to the switch? 

I will add the install to my build thread once this is install is complete.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Hey Andy,

That is correct. I left my axles in and was able to remove it out of the differential one I separate the lower a arm. I strapped the upper a arm up and once I loosened the winch and mount plate it came right out. I loosened the forward winch plate with a strap just to hinge it forward enough for clearance. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  697

Thanks Rudy, I will see how it goes in about 2 weeks.🙂

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  1,184
  • Content Count:  1

I'm having the same issue with my 2018 Defender XMR. The rear diff will not unlock. I can't tell if the switch isn't working or if the rear end is stuck in the locked position. Did you find the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

I have not found a solution to unlocking the rear diff on the 2018 Xmr yet.  I am currently on the fence about selling it and getting into a limited instead.  It is quite the hinderance to not be able to unlock the rear diff while driving down the road, around town and in the yard.   

Has anyone heard of an aftermarket locking/unlocking rear diff to put into a defender? 

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

You would have to get a non-XMR trans/rear diff (or at least the internals). I haven't heard of any aftermarket solutions. You could have one the outfits that rebuilds Defender transmissions that usually pull out the turf mode, add it in to yours.